The parish church of Aldein
Documentary the first time mentioned in 1309. Excavations prove that it was a Romanesque church. The maintained walls date back to the 12th century.
The church at first was dedicated to the holy Helena, nowadays holy Jacobus and holy
Helena are its guardians.
In the second part of the 15th century a new church was build. The presbyterium with the star vault and the east part of the northern nave as well as the middle nave date from this time. In 1845 the area was declared as a R.C.curia and Aldein became a permanent priest, dependant from Auer. Later on the church was changed in a baroque Style at the inside.
In 1841/472 the church was enlarged, the south side if the nave was completed and the old tower renewed. The painting from Kaspar Jele, above the altar date from this time. It shows the guardians of the church and it now hangs on the left wall beside the altar.
The neo- gothic furniture as it is now, dates from 1897. The main altar was created by Adolf Vogl from Hall in Tirol, it shows scenes out of the holy history and has a cross in the middle. Both side altars an altar for Maria, left and one for Josef on the right side, were made from Franz Santifaller from Gröden. The baptising stone with a neo gothic top dates back to the 14th century.
Very special is the pulpit, which shows on its roof, holy Moses with the tables of law with the Holy Ghost above him. On the outside you can find 5 reliefs of bishops. To mention are also the life sized statue of the Holy Heart, which is always carried in processions and the crib which is always is exposed at Christmas. Two marble stones at the north side remember at famous personalities of Aldein. The mortal remains of the theologian Johann Baptist Franzelin rest here in front of a monument since 1986.After a visit to the church we advice a walk through the cemetery with its old crosses in forging steel as well as a visit to the six angled chapel from the 19th century. It is dedicated to the mother of pains and on the outside it carries a war memorial plate.